Hospital Acquired Infections are common infections and bacteria found in hospitals each and everyday. These infections are so common that medications are no longer helping patients heal, which is causing a superbug phenomenon!

A number of research studies show that HAIs typically develop in patients with surgical procedures; however, Stanford University School of Medicine shows that patients can contract HAIs from their own guts! Aren’t surgical items sterilized? Yes, but most medical items that are deemed ready for surgery are found with HAIs and bacteria from improper sterilization environments and common everyday items being around them.

These are five other facts about hospital acquired infections in hospital and clinics:

1. Not all healthcare professionals wash their hands: This rule has been set by the CDC, but some medical professionals don’t wash their hands as much as they should. A research study showed that 40 percent of doctors and other healthcare professionals complied with the hand hygiene rules in hospitals. The other 60 percent? Who knows?! A solution to this problem? No handshakes.

2. Compare infection rates: When it comes time for a surgery or a visit, do your research! You can share your concerns with your doctor or surgeon and ask the needed questions. Don’t feel comfortable with the outcome? Go to another hospital and ask the same thing. Which one is safer for you. Ask the hospital if they’re currently active in the 100,000 Lives Campaign looking to end HAIs in surgery, known as surgical site infections (SSIs), or ask the questions about what they’re doing to prevent these infections.

3. Research is still going on to stop HAIs: A great example of this is at a hospital in Omaha that is working to reduce the number of staph bacteria infections that occur and the best methods to treat this infection. The researchers at UNMC are testing a clinical algorithm to help doctors and patients determine the course of prescription drugs that are needed. As you can see, we still have a long way to go before HAIs are cured for good.

4. These are preventable: It may seem like there is no hope when you stay at the hospital to not get an infection, but the truth is, HAIs are 100 percent preventable. The best thing to do for healthcare professionals, staff, patients and their loved ones is keep your hands washed. This is the easiest way to prevent the spread of HAIs.

5. Hospitals are making an effort to stop HAIs: Hospitals and healthcare professionals all across the nation are working to prevent HAIs from occurring. In 2016, over 700 hospitals were penalized under the HAC program costing about $430 million in fines. Even if healthcare professionals are following handwashing guidelines, there is the issue of technology, you can’t wash a tablet or computer screen. However, there is a way with Seal Shield. Another way is with the right storage solutions like FlowCARE Nurse Server. We offer three different kinds of storage systems; pull-out nurse server, FlowCARE Catheter Cabinets, FlowCARE nurse server. Each one can help fight against bacteria and help prevent HAIs.

A simple procedure could turn into a death sentence. The best thing to do is wash your hands and protect your items with our storage solutions.

_____

FlowCARE Nurse Server helps keep linens and surgical items safer from bacteria and viruses with extra security and our antibacterial coating on all of our storage systems. Our nurse server is patent pending, it’s truly one-of-a-kind!  

Ways Nurses Can Optimize Their Time While On Shift

Ways Nurses Can Optimize Their Time While On Shift

A nurse’s work day can become very stressful and chaotic from time to time. They work to the demand of their patients, are often understaffed, and have to work hours outside of the common nine to five time frame. This is why making sure their job is getting done efficiently and effectively is of great importance. 

continue Reading

Quality of care and why it is important

Quality of care and why it is important

Technology has helped improve the quality of care in my health facilities, but some still struggle to rapid care when needed. There are steps healthcare professionals can take in order to make sure patients are getting the quality care they deserve. 

continue Reading

Outside Healing Spaces

Outside Healing Spaces

Hospitals are designed to bring comfortability to every patient. Hospitals can implement healing spaces to help patients get out of their rooms, relax, and recover. 

continue Reading
Back